Apps for Common Core Math Standards, Grades 4-5
1 comment(s) so far...
November 28, 2011 By: Vicki Windman
The standard includes five components:
- Operations and Algebraic Thinking- expanding the topic to include gaining familiarity with factors and multiples, generate and analyze patterns.
- Number and Operations in Base Ten- increase the ability to use place value to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
- Number and Operations- Fractions- understanding fraction equivalence and ordering, understand decimal notation for fractions and compare decimal fractions.
- Measurement and Data- solve problems of measurements from a larger unit to a smaller unit, geometric measurement.
- Geometry- draw and identify lines and angles.
ilivemath-oceans $4.99 - I have mentioned apps in this series in other blogs. This app generates one- and two-step word problems; it has three levels of difficulty including addition, subtraction, fractions and circle geometry. The series includes three additional apps that cover the same areas of math.
Algebra Touch $2.99 - Introduces the following: Simplification, Like Terms, Commutativity, Order of Operations, Factorization, Prime Numbers, Elimination, Isolation, Variables, Basic Equations, Distribution, Factoring Out, Substitution, and 'More Advanced' mode.
4th grade math testing prep $2.99 - An inclusive app that addresses identification of patterns, decimals, fractions, measurement, variables, word problems, angles, algebra and more.
Fractions Explained $.99 - This app combines four videos and practice problems and includes finding the least common denominator, and adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing fractions.
Universal converter Free - This converter introduces students to mass, speed, volume, distance, time and temperature.
Unit Circle HD $.99 - Perfect to help your students understand how a unit circle works.
Geometry 4 Kids $.99 - Appropriate for all elementary grades. It covers line segments, rays and angles, congruence and transformations, critical thinking and more.
The standard has the same five components as fourth grade's standard:
- The Operations and Algebraic thinking expands to write and interpret numerical expressions.
- Numbers and Operations in Base Ten include performing operations with decimals to hundredths.
- Number and Operations extend to equivalent fractions and extending previous understanding of multiplying and dividing fractions.
- Measurement and Data expands geometric measurement: understand concepts of volume and relate volume to multiplication and to addition.
- Geometry expands to graphing points on the coordinate plane to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
Algebra Explained Lite Free; paid edition $3.99 - The lite edition gives you two lessons, two study card stacks and two sets of practice problems. The app includes videos, study cards, electronic scratch paper, graph paper, quizzes and a calculator. Topics include exponents, order of operations, and a review of fractions while using real-life examples such as basketball, heart rate, credit cards and more.
iTooch-math grade 5 lite Free; paid app $5.99 - Free version offers trial of 15 chapters before purchase. The paid version offers 60 chapters. Themes covered include Numbers and Operations, Fractions, Measuring and Estimating, Graphs and Stats and Geometry. Chapters include lessons, examples and figures. There are two modes for answering questions: practice and graded. In addition, the app includes Apple Game Center integration.
Everyday Mathematics-Equivalent Fractions Free - Players try to match equivalent fractions on cards showing halves, thirds, fourths, fifths, sixths, eighths, tenths, and twelfths. When cards are matched, they disappear and points are awarded.
Geometry Test and Stripes $.99 - Practice and master key geometry concepts.
Vicki Windman is a special education teacher at Clarkstown High School South.