20 Web 2.0 Sites Not Requiring Student Email
4 comment(s) so far...
August 28, 2012 By: David Kapuler
A huge factor for schools in dealing with students and working online is CIPA/COPPA compliance. This is to ensure student safety as well as monitor and filter their online behavior. As Web 2.0 becomes more popular and educational technology online sites replace desktop software, this has become more of an issue. A lot of subscription-based or ed tech sites require a student email address to create an account which can become a BIG issue when dealing with CIPA compliance, because a majority of students to not have a school email account. Here are 20 Web 2.0 sites that do not require a student email address to create an account. This list is in alphabetical order.
- 19 Pencils - An excellent site for finding educational resources, creating online quizzes, and bookmarking sites for students. Teachers create student accounts for access.
- Aviary Education - Great suite of tools such as image and audio editors, where a teacher creates student accounts and class ID for logging in.
- BeeClip - A wonderful site for creating digital scrapbooks; teachers create student accounts.
- Diigo Educator - Nice site for social bookmarking and annotating sites; teachers create or imports student accounts.
- Flocabulary - A neat site where students learn through educational hip-hop videos. Teachers create one unique username and password for the class.
- GlogsterEDU - An innovative site for creating interactive digital posters; teachers create student accounts.
- GoAnimatae for Schools - A great site for making animated videos; teachers create student accounts.
- Little Bird Tales - A wonderful site for digital storytelling where teachers create student accounts or imports them.
- MentorMob University - An innovative site for creating learning playlists ideal for guided learning. Teachers create students accounts.
- MusicShake Edu - A great way for students to create digital music online. A teacher can create or import student accounts.
- PhotoPeach Class Premium - A nice site for creating digital slideshows/presentations; teachers create student accounts.
- Pixton for Schools - A terrific site for creating online comics for digital storytelling; teachers create a class code for logging in.
- SideVibe - A wonderful site for turning web content into online lessons; teachers create student accounts.
- SpellingCity - A great site for teaching/learning Vocabulary & Spelling; teachers can create or import student accounts with a premium membership.
- Storybird - A nice site for digital storytelling where a parent can create a student account.
- StoryJumper - A fantastic site for digital storytelling; teachers create a class and student accounts.
- ToonDooSpaces - Nice site for creating online comics for digital storytelling; teachers create student accounts.
- VoiceThread - One of the most popular web 2.0 sites for interactive digital storytelling; teachers create student accounts.
- Yacapaca - A nice site for teachers for creating online quizzes and lessons where they create an activation code for logging in.
- Zimmer Twins - A cool site for creating animated movies for digital storytelling; teachers create student accounts.
Bonus site: The newly-released BoomWriter is an innovative creative writing website site for 3rd through 8th graders that does not require a student email for registration.
David Kapuler is an educational consultant with more than 10 years of experience working in the K-12 environment. For more information about his work, contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
and read his blog at cyber-kap.blogspot.com