Top 20 Social Networks for Education
10/21/2011 1:18:16 PM
comments powered by
Since I last posted on social networks a year ago, a number of new ones have been introduced that can be a huge benefit to education. With that being said, I decided to list my favorite networks for education that target technology literacy.
- Twitter - Far and away one of the most popular social networks around. This micro-tweeting platform is used worldwide and especially in education (search hash tags; edchat or edtech). With the-soon-to-come parental controls, Twitter will become an even better option for educators.
- Classroom 2.0 - Created by Steve Hargadon and used by thousands of educators on a daily basis. This site alone changed the way I viewed education and ignited my passion for Web 2.0.
- Facebook -nuff said!!
- Google Plus - The highly-publicized social network by Google. While it is still in its early release, there are a lot of features that make this an attractive option for education, including hangouts; the impressive group video chat and circles; the way to control posts with privacy settings.
- Plurk - A social network similar to Twitter (micro-blogging) with a timeline view and fun karma-based platform.
- Educator's PLN - Built by Thomas Whitby, this social network is one of the fastest growing around, with some of the top technology based innovators.
- Sophia - A new (beta) social network for education. Lots of great features can be found here such as: free lesson plans, private group (study) creation, and online tutoring.
- Learn Central - Sponsored by elluminate, Learn Central is an ideal place for educators to host/learn through Learn Central's virtual conferences.
- ISTE Community - International Society for Technology & Education is a great place for educators to come together and collaborate on technology issues.
- WhoTeaches - A new (beta) network designed to bring students, parents, and educators together. This is done through collaboration with the ability to share documents and create groups. Also, this site offers high level education for online learners looking for tutors or to study.
- Edutopia - A very popular organization created by the George Lucas foundation.
- Technology Integration in Education - Wonderful social network created by Greg Limperis that is similar to Classroom 2.0. There are lots of groups and discussions for users to choose from in this educational network.
- The 21st Century Teacher - A new social network designed for teachers that is designed to help them facilitate using technology in the classroom. There is lots to like here such as the group forum, community blog, and abundance of resources being shared.
- Better Lesson - Free social network that is ideal for educators. 1000's of resources can be found here as well as collaboration with other educators to find out what teaching strategies work best.
- Diipo - A wonderful new (beta) social network that is similar to Moodle and Gaggle. This network prides itself on being social networking for your class, and allows teachers and students to not only collaborate online within the class but also to collaborate with those outside.
- Intel Education Teachers Engage Community - A nice community designed to facilitate online collaboration and increase teachers technology literacy.
- Everloop - An excellent social network, designed to teach students how to network appropriately. Also, this site is ideal for education as it is being monitored by parents and supported by such organizations such as iSafe.
- Edudemic - An online community, magazine, and social network that has lots of information on technology, education, and integration.
- K12 Advantage - A great online environment that has lots of resources for teachers such as forums and chats to bring them together.
- Collaborative Translation - Created by well renowned educator James O'Reilly, CT is a great place to learn and share innovative ideas.
David Kapuler is an educational consultant with more than 10 years of experience working in the K-12 environment. For more information about his work, contact him at email@example.com and read his blog at cyber-kap.blogspot.com
Lawrenceville, GA – July 27, 2017 – Interactive projectors...
35 awards given for education industry innovation and excellence
WISCONSIN RAPIDS, Wis. (July 26, 2017) – Renaissance®,...
South Carolina’s Fort Mill School District (FMSD) anno...
New collaboration provides enhanced digital solutions for a broader po...
Leading LMS Provider Ensures Schools and Districts Have Reliable and ...
Students from Turkey, Switzerland, Mexico and Brazil Join Learners fro...
WISCONSIN RAPIDS, Wis. (July 25, 2017) – Renaissance®,...
Changes in education technology and policy spur updated approach to in...