10 Sites to use with Mobile Phones in Education
3/28/2012 3:00:00 AM
comments powered by
The use of mobile technology has opened up a whole new world in education. Terms like BYOD (bring your own device) are a commonplace occurrence. These devices have allowed educators and students to learn, teach, and study in a whole new way. Learning is no longer limited to the classroom and can occur in real-time almost anywhere. Following are my favorite sites, listed alphabetically, that help learners use mobile phones for educational purposes.
David Kapuler is an educational consultant with more than 10 years of experience working in the K-12 environment. For more information about his work, contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Audioboo - A great site with mobile apps for all platforms, for recording one's voice and then embedding it into a site/blog.
- Cel.ly - Instant mobile network for connecting people and tracking topics. Also, a great way to manage cell phones from a web environment.
- ClassPager - CP takes the classroom "clicker" to the next level through the use of text messaging, polling, Q/A, and the ability to update students/parents at any time.
- ClassParrot - A safe and simple way to text students. This is a great way to send class reminders, updates, and allow for parents to receive texts too.
- gText - A great site for free group texting. A user can send texts, files, photos, and more.
- SnappSchool - This is a great site to engage parents for free with SS messenger. Also, a user can send class-wide updates by text message or email straight from their phone.
- StudyBlue - A great way to study online flashcards, quizzes, or study guides. Also, there is a free mobile app for SB for all platforms.
- StudyBoost - A great way to study on a cell phone through text messaging and SMS.
- TXTNLRN - A innovative site for teaching and learning through text messaging. Everything associated with this site, such as signing up for a class, is all done through the use of texting.
- Wiffiti - This is a great site that allows users from a cell phone to send texts to a display or screen. A new version with more features is coming soon.
and read his blog at cyber-kap.blogspot.com