ReadWorks is a free, Common Core-aligned program for grades K-6 that aims to improve teacher effectiveness and raise student achievement in reading comprehension.
- a research-based curriculum, that provides teachers with specific and measurable learning objectives
- interactive reading comprehension units and lessons
- a gradual release of responsibility methodology, in which the teacher models comprehension while releasing responsibility to the student through guided practice and independent work
- lessons that introduce vocabulary words for teachers and language for directly introducing the new vocabulary to students
- lessons incorporating background knowledge development.
In addition to hundreds of lessons featuring fiction texts, ReadWorks provides over 1,000 Lexile-leveled non-fiction passages with research-based question sets for grades K-6. All of these passages are built as stand-alone curricular pieces that reinforce essential skills and strategies, establish scaffolding for vocabulary learning, and maximize implementation flexibility as both a read-aloud exercise and an independent reading practice tool.
For more information or to sign-up for the ReadWorks curriculum, visit www.ReadWorks.org