March 2012 Table of Contents
STEM Across the Country
By Ellen Ullman
The U.S. ranks 27 out of 29 for the rate of STEM bachelor’s
degrees awarded in developed countries. But districts across the
country are launching concentrated STEM efforts to reverse
this trend—training more teachers in how to teach these classes
and trying to get more kids interested in these fields.
SCHOOLCIO : On Notice
Emergency notification systems add features to better spread
By Ellen Ullman
21st Century Student Handbook: Teaching
Today’s Web-Centric Kids
By James Careless
Lots of schools are talking about the importance of preparing
their students for an increasingly inter-connected, Webcentric
world. Here are some districts that are “doing” it.
Put to the Test: T&L editors take some new products for a test drive.
Anthro-Charging Cart for Tablets
SMART Response VE
Long Review: Lightspeed’s My Big Campus and
learning.com’s STEM curriculum
March 2012 What’s New
Absolute Theft Recovery • Atomic Learning • Casio updated
SLIM projectors • MimioStudio Activity Wizard • ELMO
student response system
• Epson PowerLite •
GradeCam free scanning
software • HP Mini 1104
• Karbonpad • NNovachi
2.0 • and more • and more
DEPARTMENTS & COLUMNS
News & Trends
• Put to the Test: iBook2 Textbooks
• From the Web
• They Said It: iTunes U Could be Good for You
• Will Apple’s iBooks announcement finally kill paper-based curriculum?
• top10 Web Stories
• BLOG BITS
• TOP TWEETS
• The next big thing.
• Survey Finds Teachers Want More Access to Classroom Tech
• Is your district using e-portfolios to evaluate student work?
• Contests & Grants
• Site We Like
• 6 Ways to Connect Your One Computer to the World
• 2012 Vision K-20 Survey Opens