March 2014 Table of Contents
There’s a Badge For That
By Richard Ferdig and Kristine E. Pytash
Digital badges have captured the imagination of many
educators because they have proven to be an important way
to demonstrate a shared understanding of accomplished
School CIO: Who’s Afraid of Big Data?
By Dr. Steven Rubenstein
Big data is overwhelming, but it can also furnish important
information about individual students, schools, and districts.
Here is how one district created a school system and culture to
embrace data as a partner in learning.
School CIO: Back Office Business
Tech Tools for Assessing the “Soft” Skills
By Cathy Swan
Should schools teach “soft” skills, such as communication,
problem-solving, and critical thinking? Most colleges and
workplaces believe the answer is yes. This article provides a
variety of examples of tech tools that can help you teach and
assess these skills.
Put to the Test: T&L Editors take some new
products for a test drive.
Digital Passport: Classroom Edition
LEGO StoryStarter Curriculum Pack
HotSeat’s Edustation flight simulator
Adobe Creative Cloud
DEPARTMENTS & COLUMNS
Get On With The Shows
News & Trends
• Top 10 Online Stories
• BLOG BITS
• TOP TWEETS
• This Ain’t Your 70s Snow Day
• Site We Like
• When was the last time you downloaded an education app?
• Why We Still Need Librarians
• Considering New Learning Spaces
• Resources for Digital Literacy
• FCC Boss on E-Rate Reform
• Study Reveals Parents See Room for Improvement for Educational Media
• Conversations from the Tech Forum Livestream Archive
• Event Round-Ups