Product Review: Samsung 550 Chromebook
11/16/2013 5:00:00 PM
The Chromebook has quickly moved into prominent discussions among educators as a flexible Internet-based device in classrooms. Whether you are using the system as a cart or taking advantage of 10-second start-up times or optimizing it as a low-cost 1:1 device for utilizing Google Apps, the Chromebook is now a computer that schools must consider. Over the past year, several manufacturers have come into the marketplace, including Samsung, Acer, Lenovo, and HP. Since Chromebook’s operating system is the same across all of these platforms, we thought it would be interesting to take each model for a test drive and look at what makes them unique. Today we look at the HP 14-c010us Chromebook. Next up - the Acer C7-10.
Samsung 550 Chromebook
The Samsung 550 Chromebook offers a great combination of durability, screen size, quality, battery life, size, and speed. The display port makes it easy to use a dongle or cable to connect to any projector or monitor. And it will drive even the largest spreadsheets or complex websites with ease.
- Cost: $449.00
- Battery: Internal, 6 hours life
- Weight: 3.2 lbs
- Weight Comparison to iPad: 2.22
- Size: 11.50 x 8.50 x 0.83 inches
- Processor: Intel® Celeron® 867 processor (1.3GHz)
- RAM: 4GB
- Keyboard: Very easy to type on. Placement does not interfere with trackpad. Missing the following keys: page up, page down, home, end, delete, and lowercase.
- Touchpad: 4.1" x 2.5"; zero button
- Screen: 12.1" LED 1280x800
- Ports: Lock, USB 2.0 (2), Display Port, Ethernet, SD
- Memory Card: 4 in 1
- Power Adapter: Very small
- Storage: 16GB Flash
- Durability: More durable screen, but includes a very small plug.
- Speakers: Quality stereo sound
- Coolness Factor (Would a kid want to carry this around?): 4
Want to read more stories like this?
comments powered by
MADISON, Wis. (Aug. 17, 2017) – To help refresh their digital le...
Boston — Aug. 17, 2017 — The National Education Associatio...
Silicon Valley-based Mixed Reality for Education Provider Ranks #305, ...
WISCONSIN RAPIDS, Wis. (Aug. 17, 2017) – Renaissance®,...
For the 3rd time, Curriculum Associates appears on the Inc. 5000 list ...
Grants will help schools implement or consolidate classroom management...
Part of the Performance Matters Professional Development solution, the...
Webinar hosted by Aperture Education Aug. 29, 2017 offers insight into...
BOSTON (August 9, 2017) – Educators and policymakers are becomin...
Texas’ Spring Branch Independent School District (SBISD) today a...