Keep Gen Y Teachers Teaching
A recent report released by the American Federation of Teachers and the American Institutes for Research has shown that Generation Y teachers–those in their mid-30s or younger–have said need workplaces that support high-quality teaching and learning, or else. According to a related report, over 50% more younger teachers are leaving the teaching world as compared to their older colleagues. As a PD professional supporting these teachers, you need to listen up before it’s too late. Gen Y teachers said they need schools that:
* Provide regular feedback to teachers on their effectiveness.
* Have fair, rigorous and meaningful evaluation systems.
* Support peer learning and shared practice.
* Recognize and reward high performance.
* Use technology intelligently to enhance performance.
Read the complete report at http://www.aft.org/newspubs/press/2011/040811.cfm. If you’re one of these Gen Y teachers, join the conversation on this online community http://genyteachers.ning.com.
P.D. Tips courtesy of Atomic Learning