Insights based on the game-based learning platform’s reach of 50 million monthly active users include trends and best practices for the education technology space
(Oslo, Norway) June 21, 2017 — Kahoot!, the game-based learning platform and one of the world’s fastest-growing learning brands, today launched its Kahoot! EdTrends Report, which addresses the latest education tech trends in the U.S. K-12 market. This new quarterly report will enable educators and administrators to stay better informed about trending educational technologies, methods, and best practices.
Key findings of the report include:
- Google is getting a stronghold in U.S. classrooms, with Chrome OS growing quickly on computers, while Apple’s iOS dominates on mobile devices and tablets. Microsoft is holding its ground, maintaining share on computers in the classroom, especially among teachers.
- Google Classroom/G Suite for Education is the most popular productivity suite in U.S. classrooms.
- U.S. educators’ biggest incentive to adopt ed tech is to improve student productivity. Their top priorities are: to improve student learning and outcomes, to motivate students, and to encourage more engagement in class.
- In the coming school year, U.S. schools will see increased use of digital platforms for teaching, learning, and assessment, as well as the rise of personalized learning.
- Public school educators in the U.S. are grappling with budget restraints and lack of resources, while private school teachers’ biggest challenge is lack of training to understand and adopt new technology.
- On a state level, California educators struggle with lack of training and “tech for the sake of tech,” and Texas teachers face the challenges of bureaucracy and budget constraints on adopting tech.
“We hope to better serve educators and the education market through the Kahoot! EdTrends Report, which will provide important data and insights to help educators better fulfill their educational needs,” said Erik Harrell, the CEO of Kahoot! “The report will extend our mission to make learning awesome and to unlock the deepest potential of every learner, regardless of location, age, or context.”
Other data in the report includes which hardware and software platforms educators and students are using, frequently searched subjects on the Kahoot! platform, as well as an interview with an educator and ed tech influencer about the trends he foresees in the coming school year.
Report data has been gathered from the Kahoot! platform used by 50 million monthly active users worldwide, 32 million of which are in the U.S. More than 2 million K-12 teachers in the U.S. have signed up for Kahoot!, and 25 million U.S. K-12 students (about 40% of all K-12 students in the U.S.) use Kahoot! on a monthly basis.
Report data also includes results from a survey of close to 600 U.S. educators.
Read the full report here.
Kahoot! is launching the report ahead of the ISTE 2017 conference in San Antonio, Texas, from June 25 to 28, 2017. At the event, the company will also be previewing its new mobile app with brand new features for both teachers and students. Visit Kahoot! at ISTE at booth 326 to learn more about the app and the Kahoot! EdTrends Report
Since its launch in 2013, Kahoot! has turned game-based learning intoa pop culture phenomenon. The game platform now hosts over 50 million monthly active users and a public library of over 20 million learning games, created and shared by fans in more than 180 countries. Kahoot! is on a mission to make learning awesome by unlocking the deepest potential of every learner—regardless of location, age or context. Kahoot! is a global company with offices in Oslo, London, and Austin. Let's play!