1. Identify the standard (sometimes referred to as a Power Standard which would be broken down to specific grade level).
2. Reflect on the standard. What does the standards mean? Why are we teaching this? What should students know? How does it apply to students at my grade level? etc.
3. Determine the content by reviewing the standard and circling the appropriate nouns.
4. Investigate the skills by reviewing the standard and circling the appropriate verbs. This will allow you to determine the appropriate skills to be practiced by students.
5. Create learning targets demonstrating what students will be able to do. This is done through reflection and listing of verbs and nouns. The nouns allow us to state what students will know, and the verbs allow us to see what students will be able to perform or do.