In this report, some of the best-known and most exciting up-and-coming names in ELT to explore 10 of the biggest and most talked-about teaching methods and technological advances in the ELT industry. They are:
- Technology has the power to transform English language learning and teaching
- Learning how to use technology is much easier for young people
- Online learning will never be as effective as classroom learning
- Technology can help low-level learners use authentic materials better
- Computers are as effective as humans in assessing learners’ English proficiency
- There is such a thing as learning styles
- Grammar is still the best basis for a language learning syllabus
- Mobile and social media, e.g. text-speak, are having a negative impact on the English language
- Real-time translation services signal the end of language teaching as we know it
- English measurement scales, e.g. CEFR, accurately show how proficient learners are in English.
In this report, I have explored the belief that implementing technology is easier with young people. I have talked about my technology integration experience with my young learners over the last seven years.
Hope you enjoy! Please let me know what you think.
cross-posted at ozgekaraoglu.edublogs.org
Özge Karaoglu is an English teacher and educational consultant in teaching young learners and teaching with web-based technologies. She is the author of Minigon ELT book series, which aims to teach English to young learners through stories. Read more of her ideas about teaching English through technology and Web-based tools at ozgekaraoglu.edublogs.org.