One of the concerns for staff developers is how to help veteran teachers update their skills. One district was updating their email program and several teachers decided they were not going to change. Hereâ€™s one solution that worked for them:
- Let them know that change is difficult. People tend to get attached to the system they are using. Explain that people fought using an automobile when they were happy with their horse and even resisted using the phone. Sometimes change is good.
- Work with the district so most bulletins and updates are sent via the new email system.
- Offer special training sessions that show handy tricks that only they will learn if they attend the session.
- Provide just-in-time coaching in the teacherâ€™s classroom by request. Help them set up their email program on their computer.
- Send Tips and FYI by email.
New technology may bring resistance. Use similar tactics to help teachers comfortably use other new tools.
Submitted by:Barbara Bray
Next Tip: What Level Are You?