The new, cloud-based Principal Compass™ will debut at ASCD’s 67th Annual Conference and Exhibit Show in Philadelphia March 24–26. ASCD and Pearson are collaborating with the Marzano Research Laboratory and Dr. Robert Marzano on the development of a new digital program reflecting the results of Marzano’s studies establishing an evidence-based framework for principal growth and development. Marzano’s framework with accompanying rubrics identifies five domains and 24 categories for effective principal leadership.
Principal Compass™ will feature targeted support, including the following:
• Numerous self-paced online modules correlated to Dr. Marzano’s research
• On-site coaching and team professional development
• Access to more than 3,000 classroom and practitioner videos
• Benchmarking of principals and their teams’ self-assessment data against competencies for effective school leadership identified from studies of more than 300 high-performing principals
• Progress monitoring
• Recommendations for additional support
Additionally, Principal Compass™ will reflect the ISLLC (Interstate School Licensure Consortium) Standards and Skills.
"Our research team has dedicated years to identifying that critical set of skills and behaviors that makes a principal an exceptional leader, along with rubrics that help principals identify growth areas and strategies to make needed improvement," said Dr. Marzano."Now, with Principal Compass™, we have an organized structure to share this system nationally. This is a partnership that can ultimately benefit millions of principals, teachers, and students across the country."
Principal Compass™ will become part of Pearson's Compass Suite™, which includes the Teacher Compass Observe™, an online program for managing classroom observations and guiding teachers to personalized professional development; Teacher Compass PD™, engaging teachers in personalized, ongoing training, reflection, and collaboration; and Principal Compass™.