“I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole (education) community and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live.” – George Bernard Shaw
This week I am attending the Badge Summit and ISTE convention in Denver, Colorado. If you are in Denver, I’d love the chance to meet you face-to-face and if not we can still enjoy each other’s company virtually. Below are the places we can run into each other. I have also listed some other free events I am going to try to attend that look like great opportunities to meet other passionate educators that do not require ISTE badges. If you are hosting a free event let me know and I’ll add it to the list.
Some sage advice- to have an incredible time at ISTE, get to know other teachers by exchanging ideas and having a good time. After all, this might be your one trip this year. Forget about the “Teacher Rockstars” mentality and go beyond gossiping and silly blog posts of those you feel snubbed you. There are over 15,000 teachers in Denver gathering and thousands more meeting virtually using the hashtag #NotAtISTE16. You will be able to create incredible memories with teachers at various events if you step out of your comfort zone and keep attempting to meet new people. If you need some inspiration, try going on an epic conference selfie adventure and check out my #NotAtISTE ignite below. All teachers who feel they are on a mission to provide meaningful learning are rockstars in my book. I am excited to meet you and hope to spot you at one of these events.
- On Friday, June 24th, join me for the Badge Summit with incredible keynotes from all over the world including keynotes, Doug Belshaw and Nichole Pinkard. Tweet or DM organizer, Noah Geisel, @SeniorG for free press passes.
- Join me virtually for a free webinar broadcast at the Badge Summit, Moving with Mobile Devices at 1pm Denver/2pmCT/3pmET/8pmUK. Sign on as a guest here.
- On Saturday, June 25th, I am honored to be 1 of 8 chosen for the ISTE Affiliate Keynote Smackdown. I will be sharing my voyage for the past 7 years in creating Mission Minded Teachers and Students. Read this inspiring post by my colleague, Sherri Spelic, about the event.
- On Sunday, June 26th, I hope to run into you at the Edspeakers / EduMatch party. Excited to organize this passion themed event with @sarahdateechur and @iamianbryan. Please dm me for an invite on Twitter @ShellTerrell or message me on Facebook.
- On Tuesday, June 28th, all teachers are invited to support new teachers with Amazon Education. Register free here. No ISTE badge required. Free food and drinks as well as hands-on presentations. I will be presenting on engaging parents. Lisa Dabbs, Tanya Avrith, and Erin Klein will be presenting about edtech tools, social media in education, #NTChat, and connected classrooms. We will be periscoping this event. Follow @teachwithsoul, @ShellTerrell, and #PasstheScopeEDU on Twitter to get live updates virtually.
- Join me Tuesday night, June 28th for fun at Edtech Karaoke.
- I will also be attending meetups hosted by EduBuncee, Edcamp, Smithsonian Center for Learning and Digital Access, Edutopia, Personalized Learning Educators, SpeakUp, Chrome Warrior, and Amazon Education.
- On Saturday, June 25th, attend ISTE Unplugged’s Edublogger Unconference and the free after party following.
- On Monday, June 27th, attend the free Dash and Dot Future of Learning party.
- On Tuesday, June 28th, attend the free event, Voices of Literacy: Measuring Reading with Reading.
- Check out live streamed snippits of various presentations and events by following the hashtag #PasstheScopeEDU. If you are attending ISTE, please periscope with this hashtag.
- I recommend following these Periscopers- @IamVLewis, one of the organizers of #PasstheScopeEDU@sarahdateechur, and @teachwithsoul.
- Follow the hashtag #NotAtISTE16 and check out Sue Waters’ post on how to learn this week virtually if you are #NotAtISTE.
Challenge: Have an incredible face-to-face or virtual learning experience this week with other teachers by stepping out of your comfort zone and exchanging ideas with teachers.
cross posted at teacherrebootcamp.com
Shelly Terrell is an education consultant, technology trainer, and author. Read more at teacherrebootcamp.com.