Looking for a picture book or informational text to bring into a Presidents’ Day lesson? This list includes a handful of books perfect for a Presidents’ Day activity. You can introduce these selections to your whole class as read aloud books or send home the list with families for their next trip to the library. Many of the titles on this list are available in both print and digital version for reading on a Kindle.
- Of Thee I Sing (opens in new tab)by Barack Obama is a beautifully illustrated picture book written as a letter to the president’s daughters.
- DK Eyewitness Books: First Ladiescontains profiles of the first ladies of the United States.
- Flat Stanley’s Worldwide Adventures #1: The Mount Rushmore Calamity (opens in new tab) is from the popular series and Flat Stanley travels to Mount Rushmore is this selection.
- Who Was Theodore Roosevelt? (opens in new tab)is an installment from the biography series Who was.. and features the 26th president of the United States.
- When Jackie Saved Grand Central: The True Story of Jacqueline Kennedy’s Fight for an American Iconis available for pre-order now and tells the story of the first lady’s role in saving a national landmark.
- Kid Presidents: True Tales of Childhood from America’s Presidentsincludes stories that show what the childhood was like for different United States presidents.
- Presidents’ Day is a fun picture book and Amazon bestseller that is a great introduction to Presidents’ Day for kids.
#ScannableTech Tip: Find a YouTube video with a reading of a notable speech made by the historical figure in the book you choose. Connect the link to a QR code so students can scan and listen. Learn more
#FormativeTech Tip: Create a backchannel for students to pause and post a question or noticing during your read aloud. Use this information to check for understanding and/or misconceptions. Learn more
cross posted at classtechtips.com
Monica Burns is a fifth grade teacher in a 1:1 iPad classroom. Visit her website at classtechtips.com for creative education technology tips and technology lesson plans aligned to the Common Core Standards.