As a parent of four kids, I often find myself asking what I'm going to do with them when school gets out. There are lots of options out there for parents but I wanted something that would be fun as well as educational. Over the last few years ed tech companies have started to offer online summer "schools/programs" that are affordable and help prevent learning gaps over the summer months. This list is in alphabetical order.
- Brain Chase - A online five week program for grades 2-8. This adventure has students working in the subjects of math, reading, writing, and more, while watching animated episodes and solving educational problems.
- CK-12 Brain Flex - A free and self-paced online summer program that has students working on the subjects of math and science.
- Connections Learning - A nice collection of technology related online courses for math and reading grades K-8.
- DimensionU Summer Chill - A fun online competition that has students of all ages working in the subjects math and literacy in DimensionU's innovative 3D virtual worlds, with the chance to win prizes.
- Electric Company - The Electric Company from PBS is offering a six-week multimedia summer learning program that will focus on vocabulary and core math concepts.
- GoNoodle (Camp GoNoodle) - A fun and free online program that has students learning through play and other various educational activities.
- K5 Learning - A online reading and math program for grades K-5 with real time results and detailed reports.
- SpellingCity - A summer program for grades 1-12 for spelling, writing, and vocabulary. The program is self paced and has over for educational activities.
- TenMarks - A free online adaptive program that has students strengthen their math skills while receiving detailed results.
- Time4Learning - A fun online program for grades preK-8 in the subjects of math, science, social studies, and language arts.
- Robolink - A excellent way for students to learn how to program and build robots.
- Tynker - A fun way to learn how to program or code to build, games, apps, stories, and more.
David Kapuler is an educational consultant with more than 10 years of experience working in the K-12 environment. For more information about his work, contact him at email@example.com and read his blog at cyber-kap.blogspot.com