5 Take-Aways from Edubloggercon - Tech Learning

5 Take-Aways from Edubloggercon

Here are five take-aways from Edubloggercon, which was held on the Saturday before ISTE at the Pennsylvania Convention Center: :
Publish date:

By Brad Flickinger of SchoolTechnology.org

Some of the 200+ who attended EduBloggerCon 2011.

Here are five take-aways from Edubloggercon, which was held on the Saturday before ISTE at the Pennsylvania Convention Center: :

1 BYOD IS UNSTOPPABLE (Bring Your Own Device): Five years from now we will be laughing about how we wanted to buy all students a district-owned laptop for 1:1, when all students really wanted to do was to bring their own devices like iPods, iPads, and smartphones. We need to let them store in the cloud and not on our networks and let them use cloud-based apps like Google Docs.

2 TEACH WITH PASS ION, LEARN WITH PASSION: We all crowded around a local 16-year-old student named Jeff who taught us that he wants to learn from teachers who are passionate about their subjects so that he can be passionate about his learning.

3 STUDENTS SHOULD HELP STUDENTS: Before a student gets help from his teacher he should ask 3 or 4 of his classmates. I don’t know how to use Prezi, so should I ban my students from using it? No. Instead, we should let them teach each other technology that we don’t understand.

4 STUDENTS WANT SOME AUTONOMY: They want to have a little choice in what they do. If we give an assignment, we should let them pick their own method of learning proof—sometimes. You could really be surprised by what you get back (good and bad).

5 MAKE A GOOGLE CLASSROOM: Google has an 80/20 rule. Employees are to give 80% of their time to current Google projects, the other 20% of the time they can work on whatever they want. Imagine if we allowed that at school. Just think of the cool projects that kids could work on during this free learning time.

T&L Names a Winner

Congratulations to Katie Neville, a technology resource teacher in the Loudoun County (VA) Public Schools. Katie’s name was drawn as part of a contest at Tech & Learning’s booth, where we asked visitors to scan a QR code, which linked to our Twitter page, and then re-Tweet an ISTE-related message. Katie will win a Livescribe Echo smartpen.



Image placeholder title

5 ISTE 2014 Take Aways

■ Making Room For The Maker Movement:Whether through looking at the program,strolling through the vendor area, creatingin the Makers Playground, or attending anEdtekTalk, it was evident this new movementis making its way into the classroom.


Tech Forum Take Aways

 Cross posted at ThumannResources.com "Technology needs to be like oxygen. Ubiquitous, necessary and invisible." Chris Lehmann, Principal, Science Leadership Academy, Philadelphia. Chris was the Keynote Speaker at Tech Forum yesterday in Palisades, NY and set the tone for a fantastic

Image placeholder title

An inside look at ISTE10 from the blogosphere

ISTE 2010 Highlights By Frank Catalano ISTE 2010 drew 12,792 attendees and 456 exhibiting companies to the Colorado Convention Center. Overall, there were signs that consumer and education technology are merging at an accelerated rate, and teachers are at the

A New Take on Tablets

Before you rush out to purchase your next round of laptops, consider whether a tablet PC might provide a few more virtual blades in your technology pocketknife.

Taking Action

Tip: When you are doing a presentation, you can keep a list of ideas and suggestions from the audience or action items that will need further attention. In the PowerPoint slide show this becomes something on which to focus or a call to action. Go to the Slide Show view Right-click on one of the slides

Image placeholder title


You don’t have to be a Texas-sized district to realize the benefits of asset managementsoftware.

Taking the Lead

Welcome, administrators. This annual special leadership issue is designed with your particular challenges in mind. To that end, we've crafted the content around the themes of practicality and efficiency. Increasingly, professional development directors are saying that personal response systems are key to customizing

Quick Take: Election 2004

GEORGE W. BUSH Platform: Signed into law on January 8, 2003, the No Child Left Behind Act remains the cornerstone of President Bush's education policy. Among the legislation's many components is the requirement that schools not meeting "adequate yearly progress" for two consecutive years develop an improvement plan