Dayton Public Schools (DPS) in Dayton, Ohio has adopted new measures to increase school security.
With over 30 buildings and special centers housing approximately 15,000 students, Ohio-based DPS needed to standardize and simplify ID card creation while expediting the process of checking in tardy students. Its new solution, implemented by PlascoID, includes the company’s automated student management system, PlascoTrac. HID Global’s FARGO® DTC4500 card printer/encoder, plus its non-technology ID cards and AsureID® Enterprise card personalization software, are used to create customized student photo ID cards with visual security elements.
“Now that we have sped up the time it takes to create IDs and process tardy individuals, our students are in class more and therefore have a greater chance for achievement and success,” said Richard Melson, Director of The Office of Information Technology at DPS.
Features of the new system include:
- High-volume, high-speed printing: Campus officials can now print all student ID cards within the first week of each new school term, with uniform quality, design and durability. Officials can also instantly issue individual cards for new enrollees or to replace lost cards, as needed.
- Cost savings: Deployment required a low capital investment.
- Adaptability to meet future needs: The field-upgradeable DTC4500 can be modified to fit new requirements as the district’s ID system needs change and evolve.
- Versatile operation: Asure ID enterprise software simplifies the process of card design, data entry and badge creation, including automating the synchronization of ID badge and attendance data with student records information using the software’s LiveLink™ capability and the PlascoTrac Data Exchange Modules.
- Simplified attendance management: School officials can scan late-arriving students’ ID cards and automatically print a tardy pass, cutting processing time by 50-60 percent.
“Schools want integrated solutions, and a single point of contact that can bring it all together,” said Alan Mendelson, President of Plasco ID. “DPS now has the ID badge visual security benefits, fast badge issuance at each school, and a district-wide solution for more accurate student attendance records and analyzing student behavior.”