Being a facilitator is different for online environments then face-to-face workshops. As a facilitator for online learning:
- Model the behavior you wish all in your group to use.
- Practice and encourage active listening and reading.
- Assume that all the users in your group have good intentions.
- Be as clear as possible in your communication.
- Don't assume understanding; ask for clarification if there seems to be questions or confusion.
- Encourage an environment that values and builds on trust by doing what you say you will do. Encourage others to do the same.
- Use humor carefully as it may not always come across online as you would like. You can always use emoticons to clarify your message! ;-)
- Think before you hit the send button and a post goes up. Review what you wrote before you send your message.
- Approach every contribution with curiosity and encourage all users in your group to contribute.
Submitted by:Barbara Bray
Next Tip: Setting up the Course