from Educators' eZine
Build it (your tech training seminars) and sometimes they (your teachers) will not come, unless you find ways to make it productive, personalized, and rewarding.
One of the major objectives for Technology Coordinators every year is how to involve teachers in staff development when there is so little extra time in a teacher’s schedule. Over the last three years, I have implemented various plans that have increased the use of technology by teachers in my school. I am going to list the activities/tips that I found to be most worthwhile. My vision, as I train, is to make more teachers dependent on themselves and each other and less dependent on the Technology Coordinator, as they integrate technology.
- In September, send out a simple survey of five questions asking teachers to indicate the areas of training in which they are interested. The survey could look like this chart that encourages staff to reply in a simple and quick manner. Give it out on Tuesday with a deadline of Friday so that you have a document with valuable information to aid in planning.
1. What are your individual technology goals for this year?
2. What technology related to the Standards of Learning (SOLs) do you want to use, and how?
3. What training do you need to attain your goals?
4. How would you rate your comfort level in using technology in the classroom? (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)
5. Circle the programs you are comfortable using. (List of all software follows.)
- Activities before technology use: ____________________________
- Activities during technology use: ____________________________
- Activities after technology use: ______________________________
Figure 1: Spreadsheet Referenced in Question #2
SOL Related Tech
Software Comfortable Using
Computers as Centers
Social Studies presentations of ancient locations
Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Update website, more tech integration
LCD projector, Smart Board
AppleWorks, Graph Club
Create PowerPoint presentations based on content
Reading in content areas, Student quizzes online
PowerPoint for young students
Use BlackBoard and unitedstreaming more
SOL review sites
Publisher, Graph Club, Kidspiration
Use unitedstreaming with students
Publishing for students
Mini-sessions on software
Kid Pix, Kidspiration, PowerPoint
Webpage, Kidspiration, Kid Pix
Graph club for graphing
Word, Excel, AppleWorks
Teach the basics of PowerPoint
Books - Word Processing, Publish student work
Review of PowerPoint and Word
Word, Kidspiration, Kid Pix, TimeLiner
Use more software, Webpage, BlackBoard
Write to communicate ideas
Excel, Easy Grade Pro, Inspiration
Email:D. D. Coggins