You are charged to help your teachers integrate technology into their classrooms. However, in these classrooms many of your teachers have only one to four computers, and need help in scheduling, rotating, and managing students using the computers as part of the curriculum. Share the following steps with your teachers, and encourage them to adapt these as classroom practice:
- As an introductory group lesson, show the Website or software you want them to use, using a projector or connected to a TV monitor.
- Provide clear and detailed directions on what students are expected to do while on the computers.
- Identify several students in the class as technology monitors to help other students and the teacher with technology issues.
- Pair a technology-literate student with another who is less experienced.
- Plan a related activity that may be done by most of the class at their desks while students are working on the computer. One idea is to print out the Website or handout for those at their desks.
- Any students who abuse their privilege at the computer should immediately be removed from the computer for a period of time
Next Tip: Strategies for Labs or Multiple Computers