How do you know what to keep and what to throw out? If you are like me, you are probably inundated with files both in paper and electronic form.
- Put one hour on your calendar each week to go through journals, papers, or newsletters you just received.
- Keep a FYI folder for each journal and write a short summary on different articles, author, and your reflections.
- Create a database where you keep your reflections or summaries, quotes you find, summaries of books with bibliographies, helpful hints or tips, and useful contacts.
- Take an hour each month to sort through material into four piles: read, file, share, or throw out.
- Filter your email to automatically delete unwanted files or irrelevant information.
- Create folders for your email and have filters or rules automatically sort incoming mail so you can read it later.
- Keep examples of brochures, advertisements, or flyers that you can use as models.
- Organize your favorites or bookmarks by topics or create a website with links to these sites.
- Digitize as much as you can and throw away or recycle paper files.
Submitted by:Barbara Bray
Next Tip: Needs and Gots