As you wind down the year with your students, May offers Mother’s Day, Memorial Day and it starts off with Screen-free week.
April 29 - May 5, 2019 is Screen-Free Week!
Screen-Free Week is an annual celebration of life outside computers, television, and game screens, during which people are encouraged to read, play, be active, create, think and spend time with family and friends. It is about taking a break from digital entertainment. In some of our classes, we will be teaching teamwork by mixing up 4 or 5 50-100 piece jigsaw puzzles, putting them out on tables and then having the students in groups of 4 or 5 work together and with other groups to put all the jigsaw puzzles together. To close out the lesson, there will be a class reflection/discussion on what students did in order to complete all the puzzles.
STEM Literature/Literacy list
If you or your students are looking for some end of the year of summer reading, think about the following books/movies:
- Ada’s Algorithm
- Alan Turing: The Enigma (the book that inspired the movie The Imitation Game)
- Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two (DVD: The History Channel : Navajo Code Talkers)
- Elon Musk and the Quest for a Fantastic Future Young Reader’s Edition
- Hello Ruby: Adventures in Coding Hidden Figures (also a great movie for STEM, ESL and Math Classes)
- Spare Parts: Four Undocumented Teenagers, One Ugly Robot,and the Battle for the American Dream (also a great movie for STEM, ESL and Math Classes)
- The Secret Lives of Codebreakers: The Men and Women Who Cracked the Enigma Code at Bletchley Park
cross posted at collaborationsdigitalandotherwise.weebly.com
Deborah Marshall is the Department Chair of Career & Technical Education and Lisa McKnight Ward is the librarian at Granby High School in Norfolk, Virginia. Both are Nationally Board Certified, former Teachers of the Year, who have taught multiple subjects including AP and IB courses. They have over a decade of experience collaborating on technology-based learning. Read more at collaborationsdigitalandotherwise.weebly.com/