- 20 lbs of whole chickens
- 10 lbs of sausage, sliced
- 9 quarts of chicken broth
- 8 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 bunches of fresh parsley
- 5 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 8 green peppers, finely chopped
- 4 cups of chopped celery
- 3 jars of prepared roux (flour and fat cooked together and used as a thickening)
- salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, cayenne to taste
- hot boiled rice
In a large pot, boil the chicken for twenty minutes. Remove the chicken and strain the broth. Once the chicken cools, remove the skins and de-bone it. In the empty stew pot, sautÃ© the chopped parsley, onion, green pepper, and celery until soft.
Now, in a saucepan, mix the roux adding your chicken broth according to the directions. When well-blended, add to the large stew pot with the other ingredients. Put in salt, pepper, thyme and cayenne. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours, adding more strained stock if needed for consistency. Adjust seasonings. When it has simmered for at least two hours and the flavors have begun to blend, add the de-boned chicken and sliced sausage and cook for 15 more minutes.
Serve with fresh boiled rice in soup bowls.
Garnish with Tabasco, fresh green onion, crackers and gumbo file'
Email: Michelle Reynolds