Students are Stakeholders - Tech Learning

Students are Stakeholders

My secondary school continues to struggle with effective implementation of our technology plan. The staff is stymied. Any suggestions? Are your students engaged in the technology program? Dennis Harper, founder of Generation YES, strongly promotes student involvement in every phase of technology
Author:
Publish date:

My secondary school continues to struggle with effective implementation of our technology plan. The staff is stymied. Any suggestions?

Are your students engaged in the technology program? Dennis Harper, founder of Generation YES, strongly promotes student involvement in every phase of technology planning and implementation. He points out that students make up approximately 92% of the school community, but that most technology plans target the remaining 8% of the school’s population (the adults).

If your technology plan is adult-centric, this may be a large part of the implementation problem. Generation Yes offers a free 8-page report, in downloadable PDF format, called Vision to Action. This document includes research and models for including students in developing and implementing successful technology plans.

Submitted by: Susan Brooks-Young

Next Tip: Audio Books for Students with Print Disabilities

Featured

Related

Put students to work: tips for a successful laptop program promo image

Put students to work: tips for a successful laptop program

One regularly overlooked aspect of implementing a school laptop initiative is student involvement. The education consultants at Generation YES recently outlined some ways to do just that. For the full report, go to http www.genyes.org freeresources Committee work Students contribute

harper

Dennis Harper

Dennis Harper is founder and CEO of Generation YES, which teaches and empowers students to solve technology problems in their schools and communities. Generation YES (Youth and Educators Succeeding) grew out of a successful pilot program funded by the US.

Evaluating Technology-Based Student Work

The teachers have pledged to incorporate more project-based, technology-infused learning activities in this year's assignments. Now we're struggling with how to evaluate this kind of assignment. What do you suggest? The teachers probably use rubrics to evaluate student projects already. If not, this is a good

Research Competition for Secondary Students

ABC CLIO's Annual Research Competition for Secondary Students Secondary students will work in teams, coached by their social studies teacher and or school library media specialist, to "select the top 10 people, events or places that have shaped the course

Are your Students Prepared to Demonstrate 'Technological Literacy?'

Technology skills are not taught or assessed as a separate curriculum in my district. However, I’ve read that one goal of No Child Left Behind is that students specifically demonstrate ‘technological literacy’ by the end of eighth grade. Is this actually the case? Yes. One of the additional goals of Title

Reading curriculum predicts student performance

 One of the greatest challenges for educators is the process of identifying and prioritizing the students of greatest need, pinpointing the specific skills with which they struggle, and then bringing the appropriate instructional intensity to improve performance.

Image placeholder title

Student Support for the First Amendment

A new national survey shows students are moresupportive of the First Amendment than adultsfor the first time in ten years, and suggests thatincreased digital news consumption and classroomteaching are driving this change.