For the past couple of years I’ve been a live reporter at ISTE and for 2 years interviewed folks with my toddler, Savvy. This year I am attending the ISTE conference virtually! Over a year ago I learned about Microsoft Education’s Immersive Reader, which is a free powerful literacy tool that is transforming education. Immersive Reader is the tool I am most excited about this year, because it helps support struggling readers of all ages. You must check out this tool if you haven’t already, because it is definitely a game changer! In addition to the exciting news that Immersive Reader is being integrated (opens in new tab) into various popular free third party apps, this year’s ISTE conference highlighted so many ways to use Microsoft Education apps and tools to engage and support learners! Below I have added links to resources, tips, and updates thanks to Wakelet, the great free curation tool that captures reflections and reactions from Twitter during a conference.
Microsoft Education Tips and Updates
These are the important updates covering Office 365 (opens in new tab), Flipgrid, Skype Classroom (opens in new tab), Minecraft Education, and OneNote. If you want to keep current with Microsoft Education updates follow the hashtags #MicrosoftEDU, #MIEExpert, #Office365, #MSFTEduChat and #MicrosoftTeams. Follow these Twitter accounts- @MicrosoftEDU, @Hacking_STEM, and @mtholfsen. You might also want to follow these hashtags and Twitter accounts to learn more about these specific Microsoft products- @OneNoteEDU, #OneNote, @Flipgrid,#FlipgridFever, @SkypeClassroom, #SkypeClassroom, #Skype2Learn, #MinecraftEdu, and @PlayCraftLearn.
- Minecraft Edu and third party apps (opens in new tab) have now added the powerful literacy tool, Immersive Reader, right into their products.
- The Flipgrid video camera will be the default video recording tool in OneNote to allow students to record and embed videos.
Teachers and students will be able to login and use Office365 apps with their Google accounts (opens in new tab).
- Immersive Reader will be available for the full captioned transcript of every Flipgrid video response.
- Update your apps and try Flipgrid AR! Scan QR codes and videos are shared in AR. Find out about more recent Flipgrid updates here.
- Presenter Coach is a new Powerpoint feature that allows students to enter rehearsal mode and receive on-screen guidance about pacing, inclusive language, conciseness of language, profanity, filler words, and originality as they speak into a microphone. Check out this post (opens in new tab) and video (opens in new tab) for more details.
- Skype Classroom is getting an update in the fall with easier searching and filtering.
Microsoft Education Tips and Resources
These are some of the highlighted tweets taken during the presentations and related to Google Edu so you have the latest news, updates, presentations, resources, and tips!
cross posted at teacherrebootcamp.com
Shelly Terrell is a Technology and Computer teacher, education consultant, and author of books including Hacking Digital Learning Strategies: 10 Ways to Launch EdTech Missions in Your Classroom. Read more at teacherrebootcamp.com.