Despite heightened national attention on school safety, more than 80 percent of K-12 schools in the U.S. still rely on handwritten logs to manage visitors. A new white paper from Raptor Technologies, the leading provider of visitor management technologies for K-12 schools, discusses how administrators can enhance building security by replacing antiquated paper-based procedures with modern systems.
Traditional approaches have several inherent flaws, which introduce unnecessary security risks every time a visitor, volunteer, or vendor enters a school building. These risks can be controlled with the proper implementation of a digital visitor management system. For instance:
- There are more than 750,000 registered sex offenders in the U.S. In the last 12 years, Raptor software has flagged over 15,000 offenders entering schools that would otherwise go unnoticed with a pen and paper sign-in.
- The FBI reports that the number of custody-motivated abductions increased five-fold between October 2010 and June 2013. Raptor has issued over 150,000 custodial alerts across its K-12 client base.
- Custody issues have huge financial implications for schools, such as the $2.8 million judgment holding a California district responsible for releasing a student to a non-custodial adult who kidnapped the child.
“The paper-based visitor management methods in place at the majority of U.S. schools have proven to be ineffective,” said Jim Vesterman, CEO of Raptor Technologies. “Visitor management software is changing the way schools and districts manage security for their students and faculty.”
The digital alternative to paper sign-in sheets is visitor management software. These automated systems enable staff to accurately confirm a visitor’s identity, instantly check names against registered sex offender lists, monitor custody disputes and, when needed, send instant alerts to school administrators and security personnel.
There are five central ways automated systems improve visitor management:
- Automated ID data capture
- Instant and automatic screening
- Properly display data on visitor badges
- “Smart” alert notification
- Web-based access
To read more about the benefits of visitor management systems, administrators can download the full white paper for free at http://www.raptortech.com/whitepaper/.
About Raptor Technologies
Founded in 2002, Raptor is the nation’s leading developer of innovative K-12 visitor management software that provides instant screening of visitors and volunteers for sex offender status and custodial orders. Raptor is dedicated to school safety and protects children and students nationwide. More than 12,000 K-12 schools around the country currently use the Raptor system, keeping children safe from sexual predators. Raptor has flagged more than 15,000 registered sex offenders entering K-12 schools and has issued over 150,000 custodial alerts. For more information, visit http://raptortech.com/.