With the evolution of the web and social networking in particular, I decided to compile a list of educational apps for the most popular social network in the world, Facebook. The use of Facebook in education usually brings about some controversy but there is no denying the impact it has on collaboration for its users. While Facebook might not be allowed in most districts, there is definitely an educational benefit that students and teachers can gain alike.
- Send Files - Easy way to send all different types of files, up to 2 MB.
- Study Hall - Great whiteboard app that's ideal for displaying lots of different content. Also works on a variety of mobile devices.
- Slideshare - Excellent way to share any style of presentation.
- Flashcardlet - Fun app for creating flashcards to study on Facebook.
- Quiz Monster - Simple and fun way to create quizzes.
- Zoho Onlione Office - Nice way to use the complete Zoho suite, with a good drag-n-drop interface.
- Webinairia - Great way to create screencasts through Facebook - very innovative.
- Booktag - An app for sharing and commenting on books with others.
- To-Do-List - Easy app for creating lists to get things done and then making them public or private.
- Typing Test - Fun way to practice your typing skills and then share your results with others in a friendly competition.
David Kapuler is an educational consultant with more than 10 years of experience working in the K-12 environment. For more information about his work, contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and read his blog at cyber-kap.blogspot.com