From time to time I'm asked what applications I use to accomplish a particular task or what is that cool-looking icon on your dock? Below are the applications I most often use for everyday pursuits. In completing the following list I decided not to include browsers or applications from the iLife suite.
1. NetNewsWire - I use this to stay current with news and blogs from the web. Some use Google Reader but I've always found NetNewsWire to be more than enough for me.
2. Polaris - A dream come true for anybody that uses Goggle's Blogger as his or her blogging platform. This is ideal to track network traffic, top hits, referring sites, etc.
3. iChat (opens in new tab)- When I'm online and not at work I like to use iChat as my instant messaging client.
4. Bean - A simple, easy-to-use word processor that is a bit more robust than text edit as it can handle images.
5. Skitch - A fun, easy-to-use photo editor that I use mainly for highlighting and making tutorial screen shots.
6. Screenflow - Simply the best screen casting tool around.
7. Pulp Motion - By far my favorite application for making creative slide shows.
8. PhotoPresenter - A nice alternative to Pulp Motion that is very user-friendly.
9. RapidoStart - A great way to organize all of your applications visually.
10. OmniDazzle - A presenter's dream, good for creating effects or spotlights around cursor.
David Kapuler is an educational consultant with more than 10 years of experience working in the K-12 environment. For more information about his work, contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and read his blog at cyber-kap.blogspot.com.