Digital Storytelling is the process of telling a story through digital means. Also, it happens to be one the easiest ways to integrate technology into the classroom. Educators can use digital storytelling with almost any subject and can even "flip" their classroom by using mobile apps. Below is my comprehensive list of sites/apps that can be used for digital storytelling.*This list is in alphabetical order.
- 30hands Learning - A fantastic user-friendly iOS app for creating a story by adding a narration to photos. Also, 30hands has excellent video tutorials to help users create a story.
- Animaker Class - An excellent site with an educational portal for students to create animated stories.
- Book Creator - A great mobile (iOS/Chrome) app that educators everywhere are using to create stunning eBooks and digital stories.
- BoomWriter - A fantastic safe site for students (teachers create accounts - student email not required) to create digital stories/books through a collaborative process. Once a story is completed, it gets published online and an actual book can then be ordered.
- Buncee - The world's leading digital canvas for creating digital stories and more. Best of all, is the educational portal that allows educators to track and monitor student progress and assignments.
- Comic Life - Probably the most popular digital comic iOS app for creating comics. This is a very fun and easy to use app for telling the story by creating a customized comic.
- Digital Films - A nice site for creating a digital animated story and then embedded into a site/blog to share it with others.
- Imagine Forest - An innovative site where a student can create a digital story or use a story starter for brainstorming that writing process.
- Little Bird Tales - One of the most popular sites for digital storytelling that allows students to create their own art and record their voice. Also, there is a excellent iOS app available for mobile learning.
- Make Beliefs Comix - A nice site for creating digital comics in a number of different languages as well of lots of educational resources.
- Motion Comics - A cool site for creating animated comics that lets users embed into a site/blog.
- My Story - A wonderful iPad app for creating a digital book/story. All a user has to do is draw or upload a picture, add some text, and then record audio to tell a story.
- Nawmal - A popular site for creating stunning looking animated videos with educational portal.
- Pixntell - A simple to use iOS app for organizing iPhotos into a story then recording audio.
- Pixton for Schools - A nice site with educational portal for creating digital comics.
- Plotagon - An innovative site that reminds me of the now defunct Xtranormal, where are user selects a character then types up a script and Plotagon takes care of the rest.
- Speech Journal - A nice iPad app for pairing recorded audio with a digital picture from one's iPhoto library to create a story.
- Sock Puppets - A very fun iOS app that allows users to lip sync audio to a sock puppet, one of my kids favorites.
- Story Creator - One of my favorite iOS apps for creating a digital story by syncing audio and photos together. Also, an option allows for highlighting of text during narration to help a student with Reading.
- Storybird - A great site with educational portal where students create art inspired stories and then embed into a site/blog.
- StoryJumper - A fantastic site for creating a digital story by building a story from scratch or choosing one of the story starters. A student can add objects, text, and even upload their own art too.
- StoryKit - A simple to use iOS app for telling a story by adding text, photos, and audio.
- Storyboard That - A wonderful site with educational portal that teachers are using in a wide variety of ways including digital storytelling.
- Strip Designer - A iOS app similar to Comic Life for creating a digital comic.
- Tellagami - A nice way to tell a short story by creating an avatar and then recording audio, similar to Voki.
- ToonDoo Spaces - A great site with educational portal for students to create digital comics.
- UtellStory - A nice place to tell a story through audio, images, and video, as well as collaborating with others.
- VoiceThread - One of the most popular educational sites/apps for creating a interactive digital storytelling by uploading multimedia content and recording an audio narration. A finished VoiceThread can then be embedded into a site/blog.
- WriteComics - A simple to use site for creating a digital comic to tell a story.
- Zimmer Twins - A fun site with educational portal for creating animated movies/stories.
For my Pinterest board on Digital Storytelling click here.
For my Edshelf collection on Digital Storytelling click here.
cross posted at cyber-kap.blogspot.com
David Kapuler is an educational consultant with more than 10 years of experience working in the K-12 environment. For more information about his work, contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and read his blog at cyber-kap.blogspot.com.