A new independent non-profit, Nation of Makers, will serve and represent a wide variety of spaces, events, and institutions serving makers, including educational institutions, non-profit organizations, libraries, science centers, and more.
Examples of efforts include:
- Chicago, IL, where makers from the broader Chicago community are prototyping everything from energy storage devices and wearable electronics to food packaging and furniture at The Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the University of Chicago.
- Anchorage, AK, where the MAKE Partnership is matching federal dollars to support trainings and workshops hosted by the Anchorage Makerspace that are geared towards manufacturing start-ups and maker entrepreneurs.
- Macon, GA, where SparkMacon is empowering entrepreneurs to launch businesses in the broader Macon-Bibb county.
- Brookings, SD, where Brookings Economic Development Corporation has opened Brookings Area Makerspace located at South Dakota State University, a shared workshop and creative space open to students, faculty and community members.
- Kingsport, TN, where the Kingsport Chamber of Commerce is supporting and celebrating the creation of a new makerspace at the Kingsport Public Library.
For more examples, visit the Nation of Makers website at www.nationofmakers.us