All of us procrastinate especially when it comes to a task we just don't want to do. There are many reasons why you may procrastinate:
- You have a tremendous amount of work to do. Even if you had enough time, you would not get it all done.
- You are responsible for your own time and how you structure it.
- There are lots more fun things to do then what is expected of you.
Some ways that can help you complete what you need to do include:
- Be realistic about what you can do. Instead of trying to complete a large project in one marathon sitting, plan one to two hours each day.
- Plan when to work and when to play. With all you have to do as a professional developer, you can't really do whatever you feel like doing even though it sounds tempting. Make sure you plan some fun in your schedule.
- Thinking the project is bigger than it really is. If it is big, set aside a few minutes each day to tackle it. Once you get involved and maybe even interested, the project may not seem as big as you thought.
- Understand why you procrastinate. Some people procrastinate because they have a fear of being found out they cannot do the job or a fear of failure. Sometimes it is a lack of motivation. If you can face why you procrastinate, then ask for help.
Submitted by:Barbara Bray
Next Tip: Barbara's Top Ten Tips