The International Society for Technology and Education (opens in new tab) (ISTE) today announced a new partnership with Discovery Education (opens in new tab). Through this collaboration, Discovery Education, provider of digital curriculum resources, digital content, and professional development for K-12 classrooms, is offering all ISTE members access to its newest service, STEM Connect (opens in new tab), at no cost through July 31, 2019.
ISTE members interested in accessing STEM Connect today can visit this website (opens in new tab) for details and information on how to enroll in this member benefit.
Discovery Education’s newest digital service, STEM Connect (opens in new tab) is an interdisciplinary K-8 supplemental resource built on a 4Cs STEM skills framework that helps students develop creative, critical thinking, communication, and collaboration skills.
Among STEM Connect’s key features are:
- Real-World Challenges – Inspired by the National Academy of Engineering’s Grand Challenges for Engineering and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, STEM Connect’s Real World Challenges inspire younger students to pursue solutions to personal, local issues while middle school students explore possible solutions to more complex, global problems.
- Career Connections – STEM Connect provides students with opportunities to learn about diverse STEM careers in context and connects the skills they are using in the classroom to real situations around the world.
- Content Connection Activities – Ranging from math and literacy to the arts and health, the Content Connection activities ask students to apply appropriate grade-level skills in various disciplines.
- Hands-On Activities – By blending dynamic digital content with engaging opportunities for students to build, design, make, and create, STEM Connect offers a variety of hands-on activities for all students.
- Global STEM Solution Seekers – STEM Connect users are part of a global community working to solve important real-world challenges. In select units, students connect via GlobalLab, a global student laboratory, to share data and collaborate with others around the world.
To help educators integrate STEM Connect into classroom activities, Discovery Education will host a series of webinars that will highlight the service’s features and provide ISTE members an overview of the many ways it can be integrated into classroom activities. A full schedule of webinar dates and times will be available soon on the Discovery Education/ISTE partnership website.
For more information about Discovery Education’s digital resources and professional learning services, visit www.discoveryeducation.com (opens in new tab).