Now that more schools and districts are cutting back personnel, you may find your time limited. You may be doing more than two people's jobs now. As a professional developer, a lot of your time is spent on planning. But finding a place to do this where you can think clearly is not always easy especially in schools. You don't want to offend anyone, but you need to get your work done. Some tips on managing interruptions include:
- Have your phone calls go to voicemail to retrieve later.
- Put up a plant or some other physical barrier between you and the door.
- Keep a minimal number of extra chairs in your office. If you work in your classroom, close the door.
- Work earlier or later than others if you are on deadline.
- If you do receive a call, ask them "when would be a better time than now to talk?"
- Write yourself a note where you left off if you get interrupted so you can get back to it without losing a beat.
- Try to use email for most of your communication.
Submitted by:Barbara Bray
Next Tip: Controlling Procrastination