More of our work is online, but is it secure? Here are some tips for securing yours and your teachersâ€™ protected files, documents, and other work online:
- Be careful of using passwords that may be easy to figure out such as â€œpassword,â€ your first name, or simple numbers in chronological order.
- Try not to use your petâ€™s name, date of birth, social security number, motherâ€™s maiden name, or your nickname.
- Watch out for any word that appears in the dictionary.
- Put together numbers and letters, upper and lowercase letters, and include special characters like exclamation points.
- If you have a favorite saying, take the first letters of each word and then add numbers with some letters uppercase. i.e. â€œTake me to the ballgameâ€ or Tm2tT3b4
- Donâ€™t e-mail your password. If you have to, do not send your password along with the login in the same message.
- Change your password regularly possibly every quarter or even every month for secure documents.
Since you may be creating an unusual password, save it in a secure place such as your wallet or safe.
Submitted by:Barbara Bray
Next Tip: Setting Priorities