By Nancy Caramanico, CIO Advisor
For the first time in many years, I will not be attending one of my favorite conferences - the ISTE conference. During that week, on the opposite coast, I'll be teaching a one week course in an Educational Leadership graduate program locally. In exploring ways to connect and learn along with passionate educators on the opposite coast at ISTE I wondered:
How can I connect virtually? What resources are best for others wishing to do the same? What resources can be shared with my classroom so that they can connect with some of the ideas at ISTE12?
- Twitter - If you are not on twitter, sign up for a twitter account. If you are new to twitter, access this Twitter Handbook for Teachers created by those at Powerful Learning Practice. It contains how to resources, basics guides and a list of twittering educators which you can follow and also join. My virtualiste12 twitter list will be located here.
- Hashtag #ISTE12 - Follow the hashtag for the conference. Lists will connect you with a certain group but following the hashtags will give you a wide range of results and resources as you will see results from anyone using the hashtag. If you use the application Tweetdeck to access Twitter, you can create easy to follow columns for any list, search term or hashtag. To connect with others attending virtually use the hashtags #iste12 #virtual or #virtualiste12
- ISTE Ning - Join the ISTE 2012 ning. Create a group there or join a few.
- Full Program Guide - Read about the sessions, posters and events. Shared presentation materials are linked here. At the main site, you will also find news feeds, video clips and other updates.
- Google Reader - Set up a Google Reader account to follow bloggers at ISTE. By following ISTE Unplugged you will be able to find blogs to add to your reader. ISTE has a blogger list you can access or join too.
- Mobile Apps - ISTE Mobile App (opens in new tab) has a list of standards and the ISTE Connects Blog, ISTE12 Conference App lists sessions and more.
- ISTE Remote - ISTE has a pay option which provides access to certain sessions. See the schedule here http://www.isteconference.org/2012/program/participate_remotely.php