Last week I made my third trip to Nebraska for the Nebraska State Reading Conference. It was so much fun meeting new teachers and sharing plenty of my favorites technology tools for reading. You might have seen the picture of the tiny plane that took me to Kearney, NE in the graphic of this post.
One of my sessions last week include 15 of my favorite technology tools for the reading classroom. When presenting a list like this to teachers I try to give lots of classroom examples and time to try out some of the tools I picked out to share. There are lots of ways to use the tools on this list depending on your learning goals, subject area, and grade level. Although I’m not standing in front of you jumping around with excitement like the teachers in Nebraska had a chance to witness, I thought I’d share these 11 favorites with you in a blog post! You can grab a free poster with all 15 by clicking here.
- Kahoot – try it to review literary elements (more tips)
- Seesaw – try it to for a reflection on reading
- Spark Video – try it for a book trailer
- Padlet – try it for a KWL pre-reading activity
- Today’s Meet – try it for a read aloud backchannel (more tips)
- Explain Everything – try it for strategy tutorials
- Nearpod – try it for annotating text
- New York Times VR – try it to provide background knowledge (more tips)
- Spark Page – try it to publish book recommendations (more tips)
- Buncee – try it for shareable reading responses (more tips)
- Popplet – try it to organize thinking
- Spark Post – try it for a virtual exit slip (more tips)
Click here to download the free poster 15 Technology Tools for the Reading Classroom! Remember, technology tools are all about how you use them, places tasks before apps by identifying your learning goals and using technology to energize and elevate!
cross posted at classtechtips.com
Monica Burns is a fifth grade teacher in a 1:1 iPad classroom. Visit her website at classtechtips.com for creative education technology tips and technology lesson plans aligned to the Common Core Standards.