You can begin creating a 21st century learning environment today with one of the easiest and least expensive to use technologies out there. A Flip Video. This $150 investment can go a long way in helping digital native students create using the technology they love with a tool that’s easy on the wallet and has virtually no learning curve...especially in the hands of students.
So, how might you Flip Your Instruction? Here are some learning ideas, teaching ideas, and resources and samples to inspire you.
- How To Book -> How To Video
- About Me Book -> About Me Video
- My neighborhood report -> My neighborhood video
- Book report -> book trailer
- Tell your family’s stories (Flip Your Homework by bringing a Flip home)
- PSA or Advertisement
- What is your B Side (Personal narrative of the you people may not know)
- Students can create video tips for becoming better readers or writers. Teachers can create the first few sample videos.
- Students can create video tips for ways their parents can support them with their reading or writing.
- Students create videos with questions about reading or writing to be answered by others. Students or global community.
- Inspiration for student work ideas
- Inspiration for video ideas
- Voicethread provides a feedback forum for video projects
Teaching video ideas
(Have students or parents create or star in these!)
- Tips for Teaching Guided and Independent Reading in Grades K-3
- Strategies and prompts for emergent readers
- What Good Readers Do
- Just Right Book Selection
- Reading Tips for Parents with Beginning Readers
- Choosing Just Right Books
- Helping Your Kids to Read with Leveled Readers
If you are ready to flip your instruction, it is important that from the beginning, you Don’t Forget Your Audience! 5 Ideas To Connect with Real Audiences. Remember it’s important to help students discover places their work might be published to an authentic audience and also exposes them to examples of other student work.
Cross posted at The Innovative Educator, International Edublogger, International EduTwitter, and Google Certified Teacher. Lisa Nielsen is perhaps best known as creator of The Innovative Educator blog. An outspoken and passionate advocate of innovative education, Ms. Nielsen is covered by local and national media for her views on "Thinking Outside the Ban" and determining ways to harness the power of technology for instruction and providing a voice to educators and students. Ms. Nielsen has worked for more than a decade in various capacities helping schools and districts to educate in innovative ways that will prepare students for 21st century success.
Disclaimer: The information shared here is strictly that of the author and does not reflect the opinions or endorsement of her employer.