Creating screencasts has been one of my favorite things to do when working with technology. I have used this to help teachers and students with troubleshooting or professional development. It's a great tool to demonstrate how to solve a problem or clarify a multi-step procedure.
Top 10 Sites/Applications for Creating Screencasts
1. Screen Flow - Simply the best, most robust application for creating screencasts at an affordable price.
2. SnapZpro - While not as many features of Screen Flow, more affordable and easy to use.
3. Jing - One of the more popular free applications for recording screencasts (unpaid version saves as a swf file).
4. Screenjelly - Probably the most user-friendly site to use for recording video and uploading to a number of sites.
5. Camtasia - Great application for Windows, similar to Screen Flow.
6. Screenr - Excellent free site for recording screens with an iMovie type interface.
7. ScreenCastle - One of the best and easiest ways to record a screen and share or embed with others.
8. Sequence - Very affordable Mac application for creating screencasts with the ability to draw or comment.
9. Screenium - A nice Mac application at a nice price.
10. Screen Flick - A Mac application with many export features.
David Kapuler is an educational consultant with more than 10 years of experience working in the K-12 environment. For more information about his work, contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and read his blog at cyber-kap.blogspot.com.