A "Flipped Classroom" is a classroom that uses class time to do activities/lessons (guided by the teacher) and "homework" time for guided instruction, usually through video. Basically, it turns a classroom upside down: the learning of a topic is done at home and then the applied practice or work is done at school. With Mobile Learning and BYOD becoming more mainstream, "Flipped Classroom" models are happening more and more, leading me to create my list of favorite tools for "flipping a classroom." For an excellent info-graphic on what a "Flipped Classroom" is click here.
Top 10 Sites and Apps for a Flipped Classroom
- 9Slides - A wonderful way for teachers to create an interactive/guided presentation for their students flipped learning.
- Answer Pad - The ultimate assessment tool for teachers to use with their mobile devices or browser to gauge student's learning.
- Ask3 - A fantastic iPad app for turning your iPad into a recordable whiteboard. This allows for a teacher to create guided lessons (by adding text/drawing/narration) that students can view at home. Students can then use the app in class to answer each other questions before asking the teacher, while teachers can use it to assess student's learning.
- BoomWriter - An excellent innovative site that allows students engage their creativity by completing chapters of a book/story and then having other students vote on which one should be included in the finished product. Once a book/story is completed a trade paperback copy can be ordered, turning students into published writers.
- Educreations - A terrific iPad app that is very similar to Ask3 as it turns the iPad into a recordable whiteboard. However, teachers can not only create a guided lessons, but also post them on the web for their students to view at home for flipped learning.
- GoClass - A wonderful iPad/web tool that allows educators to create lessons and then assess students learning in real-time. Also, students can view the lessons at home on their mobile devices and learn at their own pace.
- Knowmia - One of the most popular sites/apps for creating and searching for video lessons for students. Simply put, Knowmia is one of the best and easiest ways to flip a classroom.
- Math File Folder Games - A great site/company for educational iOS Math games that can be used to create 21st Century "Math Centers". This is a great way to use educational apps to reinforce flipped learning.
- MentorMob - A fantastic site for educators to create guided learning playlists that students can use at home for self learning. One of the best sites around for creating a flipped classroom.
- Nearpod - A terrific all-in-one solution for mobile devices in education. Teachers can use it to create engaging lessons that students can do from home.
David Kapuler is an educational consultant with more than 10 years of experience working in the K-12 environment. For more information about his work, contact him at email@example.com and read his blog at cyber-kap.blogspot.com.