Paper vs Digital Notetaking for Students - Tech Learning

Paper vs Digital Notetaking for Students

I just saw an article, "Is the pen mightier than the keyboard for students?" that makes a case that students retain more when they take notes on paper and that digital devices, as reported by students themselves, allow for more distractions.
Author:
Publish date:
Image placeholder title

I'm 99% paperless (the other 1% is out of my control) and take my notes digitally, for the most part, on my Chromebook or Smartphone. I do use a Livescribe pen and notebook sometimes too and I know a lot of people prefer paper notes and planners.

I just saw an article, "Is the pen mightier than the keyboard for students?" that makes a case that students retain more when they take notes on paper and that digital devices, as reported by students themselves, allow for more distractions.

    US educational psychologists Pam Mueller and Daniel Oppenheimer published a study last year which found college students who wrote their notes on paper actually learn more. Their study showed those used tablets always took more notes, but it was pen and paper students who scored better on conceptual understanding of the material – and in how to apply and integrate it in exam conditions.

I agree with a lot of this because I see too many students just copy right from digital resources for their "notes" and don't put them in their own words. This means that their brain isn't processing the information, It's the same with clipping things to Evernote. Whenever I clip something, I make some of my own notes on it too. Students also have lots of ways to be distracted with a digital device (as do adults). In the old days, we could doodle or daydream, now you can go online and do anything instead of paying attention.

It's an interesting article that all educators should read and take notice of.

Related:

Great Tips, Resources and Ideas for Going Paperless

Lots of Resources to Help You Go Paperless

Lots of Resources for Notetaking

10 Great, Free Apps for Students for Notetaking and Class Planning

Analog (ie paper) resources that work with digital

Getting Students and Teachers Organized - includes some tips for paper based systems

David Andrade is a Educator, Educational Technology Specialist and Education Administrator in CT. Before teaching, David was an Aerospace Engineer for 10 years.He is the author of theEducational Technology Guy blog, where he reviews free educational technology resources for teachers, discusses ways to use technology to improve teaching and learning, and discusses other issues in education. He is also a professional development trainer, educational technology consultant and presenter at conferences. Check out his blog at http://educationaltechnologyguy.blogspot.com/ for more resources, tips, links, information and more. Follow him onTwitterandGoogle+.

Disclaimer: The information shared here is strictly that of the author and does not reflect the opinions or endorsement of his employer.

Featured

Related

Why I still love paper

The last time I saw my desk was around 18 months ago, give or take. Until yesterday, that is. It hadn’t been stolen, lost or mislaid, just buried under a pile of paper. And books. And mugs, pens and stickies

Image placeholder title

How Do We Motivate Students?

 Cross posted at http educationaltechnologyguy.blogspot.com How do we motivate students? I know I don't know how to motivate all students. I try to tell them why learning is important, how an education can make them a better person (and more

Site Helps Kids Read & Think Critically promo image

Digital Portfolios: Blogs VS. Seesaw

Just recently, I started learning about the Seesaw platform by attending several workshops at different conferences and by creating a “family classroom” that I share with my daughter and son-in-law to document and keep track of my grandchildren’s growth and learning.

Image placeholder title

Great Web 2.0 Resources for Students

There are some really great Web 2.0 Resources for Students out there that can help students with their school work, getting organized, and using other Web 2.0 resources. Here is a list of some of my favorites. TRACKCLASS Trackclass is a great,