The number of digital books borrowed on OverDrive's K-12 digital reading platform is up 48 percent compared to 2015. K-12 students are reading more eBooks and audiobooks, and while an increasing number of schools are moving their curriculum books to digital, more than half of all eBooks read in K-12 classrooms are for pleasure reading according to a School Library Journal survey.
The top 5 eBooks and audiobooks used in K-12 schools in 2016 include:
1. The Long Haul, Jeff Kinney (Abrams)
2. Wonder, R. J. Palacio (Random House Children's Books)
3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Jeff Kinney (Amulet Books)
4. Cabin Fever, B. M. Bower (Amulet Books)
5. Big Nate Makes a Splash, Lincoln Peirce (Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC)
OverDrive's Top Digital Class Sets, eBook versions of the titles that serve as a cornerstone of the K-12
English Language Arts Curriculum, focused on inclusion and connection in 2016.
Top 5 Class Sets in 2016
1. Wonder, R. J. Palacio (Amulet)
2. A Raisin in the Sun, Lorraine Hansberry (Knopf Doubleday)
3. Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston (HarperCollins)
4. Inside Out and Back Again, Thanhha Lai (HarperCollins)
5. Bud, Not Buddy, Christopher Paul Curtis (Random House)
For more information about the OverDrive service for schools, visit overdrive.com/schools.