For the first time in the eight-year history of the Follett Challenge (opens in new tab), a school from outside the United States has been named one of the contest’s three Semifinalists, making it eligible for the Grand Prize. In a video announcement, Follett Challenge organizers today announced Regina Catholic School Division in Saskatchewan is the middle school Semifinalist, joining a New York elementary school and Illinois high school.
One of the three schools will earn the Grand Prize, to be announced April 24.
The Follett Challenge again is awarding $200,000 USD in products and services from Follett (opens in new tab) to the schools/districts that nominated their innovative educational programs which teach 21st century skills to students and illustrate critical thinking, communication, creativity, and collaboration. Entrants completed an online application and submitted a three- to five-minute video outlining how their program has made a positive impact.
The 2019 Semifinalists are:
• Elementary School Winner: Valley Stream School District 24; Valley Stream, N.Y.; video: “Breaking into the Library (opens in new tab)”
• Middle School Winner: Regina Catholic School Division; Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada; video: “Regina Catholic Schools Tinker Tub Project (opens in new tab)”
• High School Winner: Lindblom Math and Science Academy, Chicago (Ill.) Public Schools; video: “The Impact of Lindblom’s Writing Center Plus (opens in new tab)”
The overall winner will earn a $60,000 prize in Follett products and services, plus a celebration at their school. The other two schools each will receive $30,000 in products and services.
Today’s announcement also revealed the 10 People’s Choice winners — those schools whose video submissions received the highest number of online votes from the public. Each of the winning schools will earn $8,000 in Follett products and services.
1. Howard Middle School; Macon, Ga.; video (opens in new tab)
2. Gower School District 62; Willowbrook, Ill.; video (opens in new tab)
3. Southwest Middle School; Palm Bay, Fla.; video (opens in new tab)
4. School City of Mishawaka; Mishawaka, Ind.; video (opens in new tab)
5. J. Graham Brown School; Louisville, Ky.; video (opens in new tab)
6. Mineola High School; Garden City Park, N.Y.; video (opens in new tab)
7. Clinton County Middle School; Albany, Ky.; video (opens in new tab)
8. Gov. William Pitkin Elementary School; East Hartford, Conn.; video (opens in new tab)
9. Lemoore Union High School District; Lemoore, Calif.; video (opens in new tab)
10. Lafayette School/Wayne Public Schools; Wayne, N.J.; video (opens in new tab)
For more information about the Follett Challenge, visit www.FollettChallenge.com.