Every school and district needs to put into place a system for lifelong learning so that teachers have an ongoing and sustainable professional development program that supports the curriculum.
- Build a professional development center where teachers can learn from each other and share ideas.
- Map the curriculum to determine what is taught and to see if the content standards are being met.
- Find each teacher's strengths and expertise.
- Have teachers team to develop strategies that meet several standards
- Redesign existing lesson as replacement units that align to standards.
- Share strategies, have teachers switch rooms, and invite students to be curriculum developers.
Encourage your school to innovate and take some risks. Some lessons may not work as well as others but still the teacher learns new ideas that will create a rich curriculum and engage their students.
Submitted by:Barbara Bray
Image from:My eCoach eLibrary