How do you create a good looking website that engages your audience if you are not a graphic designer or software engineer? Here are some tips to help you create a professional-looking and high quality web site using the Universal Builder:
Ease of navigation: brainstorm and cluster your pages under categories that will be easy for your users to find information
• Add pages to tabs for your main topics.
• Create a table of contents or site map if lots of pages.
• Create one page with all of your resources even if you have the resources on different pages.
• Use short, clear and precise words for your tabs and page links.
Watch your Fonts: Limit your font size, types, and colors
• Choose one font style, one color and one font size for the body of your text.
• Limit how many colors and font sizes you use for your headings.
• Limit bold type and capitalization to headers only.
• Optimize Load Time: Limit the file size on each page.
• Aim to use a maximum of 2 photos per page, depending on what your site is about.
• Resize your images so they are under 500K. Even smaller is better.
• Save your images as .jpg.
• Upload only one video to a page.
• Keep videos under 50MB an even smaller for better uploading for viewers.
• Create smaller chapters of one video with text descriptions.
• Use the embed box to run large videos from an outside streaming server.
Keep Pages Short
• Trim long pages and/or make another page with a link to more...
• Be concise with headers and information with bullet points.
• Use visuals instead of lots of text -- a picture is worth a thousand words.
Basic Design Issues
• Choose a template that reflects your topic.
• If there is no template, then create and upload a banner that includes the title and subtitle. Make sure "hide title and subtitle" is checked under Preferences.
• Choose a style with tabs on the left if main topics are long.
• Choose 1000 pixel wide template when adding pictures and tables.
• Watch contrasting fonts and background colors. Red text on black is difficult to read. Black text on white works best but is not always easy on the eyes.
• Use a hook with a video, audio podcast or animation on your first page. If you want to embed a video, then use the first page under Contents and hide Overview.
Browse the Internet and mimic text styles and layout of sites that you like and are easy to read.