The Phoenix Coding Academy is an innovative school in Arizona that partners with businesses to ensure students are prepared to enter a job market where technology skills are a basic requirement. This is critically important because employment opportunities in technology-related careers are growing at a faster rate than other industries.
A group of ed tech leaders from around the country had the opportunity to visit the school and see what works first hand as part of the Tech & Learning Leadership Summit in Arizona. Here's what they learned.
Seven Ways to Partner with Businesses
Principal Seth Beute explained seven ways the school successfully partners with businesses. This includes providing:
- Job shadowing opportunities
- Mentorships to all students
- Internships for seniors
- Guest instructors
- Field trips
- Serve on advisory councils where they provide an input on the curriculum and ways it can be aligned to the skills needed to work in technology fields
- Support at community events showcasing the school
- Go where these populations are and show them what is available.
- Show these students that tech careers are reachable for them.
- Connect students to a learning network of others who look like them who are successful in this industry.