To celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week, ASCD will share several free professional development materials with educators worldwide and provide opportunities for teachers to win resources by engaging on social media. During each day of Teacher Appreciation Week, May 2–6, 2016, educators who follow @ASCD on Twitter and @officialascd on Instagram can enter for chances to win subscriptions to the ASCD myTeachSource™ professional learning platform and copies of select ASCD Arias™ titles. Educators can find more resources, including free webinars, podcasts, articles, and infographics by visiting this page.
Opportunities for Teachers to Win
- One-Year Subscriptions to ASCD myTeachSource—Each day on Twitter, ASCD will share a post announcing that day’s giveaway for up to 20 free subscriptions to ASCD myTeachSource, an online learning platform with classroom-focused topic packs consisting of teacher-driven articles, tools, videos, and more. Educators can follow @ASCD on Twitter and retweet each day’s post to enter.
- Copies of ASCD Arias Titles—Each day on Instagram, ASCD will post a picture of that day’s featured ASCD Arias short-format professional learning publication. By following @officialascd and commenting on the post with a brief description of why they’d like to win the featured title, educators can enter to win one of five copies distributed each day.
Celebration of the State Teachers of the Year
On Thursday, May 5, ASCD, in partnership with the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) and Scholastic, will welcome each of the 2016 State Teachers of the Year―including the recently announced National Teacher of the Year, Jahana Hayes―to its Alexandria headquarters for a Teacher Leadership Day. These 56 leading educators will have the opportunity to participate in a video project where they’ll record their unique stories for distribution to a broad audience, engage in a conversation with Scholastic regarding a national survey on equity in education, and more.
Connect with ASCD for Discussion and Resources
- Whole Child Symposium―On May 4, from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. eastern time, a panel of educators will take the stage at Washington, D.C.’s Newseum to discuss how we can close the engagement gap and ensure an all-engaging learning environment for students in each school and classroom. Educators can watch live video from the event at www.ascd.org/wcsymposium.
- #ASCDL2L Twitter Chat—This month’s #ASCDL2L Twitter chat will take place on Tuesday, May 3, from 8:00 to 9:00 p.m. eastern time. Featuring guest expert Mike Anderson (@balancedteacher), author of the new ASCD book Learning to Choose, Choosing to Learn: The Key to Student Motivation and Achievement, this chat will kick off the discussion for Wednesday’s Whole Child Symposium by focusing on the engagement gap and asking educators to share their methods for ensuring student engagement, tips for getting students involved with the community, and more.
- Inservice—ASCD’s official blog, Inservice, will feature posts from Anderson, fellow ASCD author Jeff Marshall, and educators from various roles that demonstrate the excellent work teachers do every day and share appreciation for the teachers that have positively affected their lives.
To learn more, visit www.ascd.org.