The six winners of the $100,000 Follett Challenge to find the most innovative K-12 school libraries were unveiled and honored Oct. 27 in a ceremony at the Minneapolis (Minn.) Convention Center. A total of $100,000 worth of products and services from Follett was awarded to the winning schools:
- Ocoee Elementary School; Orange County Public Schools; Ocoee, Fla.; “Creating A Culture of Literacy”; Isabel Chipungu, Media Specialist; $35,000.
- Eisenhower Middle School; North East Independent School District; San Antonio, Texas; “21st Century Learning Libratory”; Teresa Diaz, Librarian; $20,000.
- Flat Rock Middle School; Henderson County Public Schools; East Flat Rock, N.C.; “History Our Way”; Jenn Northrup, Media Coordinator; $15,000.
- Swan Valley High School; Swan Valley School District; Saginaw, Mich.; “Mastering the Art of Literacy at SVHS”; Kay Wejrowksi, Library Media Specialist; $10,000.
- Bennett School Library; Bennett School District; Bennett, Colo.; “A 21stCentury Library At Its Best!”; Casey Veatch, District Librarian; $10,000.
- Randall Carter Elementary School; Wayne Board of Education; Wayne, N.J.; “Books and Beyond”; Laura Healy, Media Specialist; $10,000. (Note: This entry was the People’s Choice Winner for best video submission based on public voting on the Follett Challenge web site.)