T&L Advisor Guest post — Carl Hooker, Director of Instructional Technology, Eanes Independent School District: It’s that time of year in education when we get ready for explosions, device refreshes, massive crowds (for ISTE), and big time sequels (iPadpalooza 4!). Here’s a sneak peak at some of this summer’s most anticipated events:
• San Andreas: Is L.A. falling into the ocean or is it just a device roll-out gone wrong? You be the judge in this action-packed thriller.
• Jurassic World: Prehistoric creatures are inhabiting our earth in the form of high stakes assessments that rule the educational world. When will these things go extinct? There is hope!
• Pitch Perfect 2: Maybe not a typical blockbuster, but on June 30 the stars will align for the musical train wreck known as the Ed Tech Karaoke at ISTE 2015. Can anything be done to stop this or is it just too darn compelling not to watch?
• Entourage: Speaking of ISTE, I’m always interested to see who is in T&L Content Director Kevin Hogan’s entourage as he makes the rounds in Philly. This year, let’s tweet pics of Kevin to #Kevintourage when he’s spotted with a posse.
• Tomorrowland: A film I’m very excited about. It’s a sci-fi blockbuster that reveals what education will look like in the future. Desks and chairs are gone and in their place...*gasp*...mobile furniture and standing desks! This must be science-fiction.
There you have it. I left out super hero franchises like Avengers and Fantastic Four because, let’s face it, we could all use some heroes in education, but seeing Steven Baule in tights just doesn’t work for me.